Team Carson wins Asham Under 17 Slam Lanarkshire

Lanarkshire Ice Rink hosted the latest leg of the Asham Under 17 Slam from 1st to 2nd November.  24 teams split over 6 sections took part in the event which was played in a competitive but friendly way and all teams appeared to enjoy themselves.
There were no great surprises in the results of the group stages other than the tremendous achievement of  Cameron McNay (Lockerbie) and his team of Ryan McCormack, Alistair Middleton and Angus Bryce (pictured) made history by being the first team in the Asham Under 17 Slam to score an eight ender award; they will receive a plaque for display, certificates and badges from the RCCC in due course in recognition of their achievement.
Asham U17 Slam 8 EnderThe low road quarter finals saw the Lockhart and Shaw teams have a tight tussle with the Shaw rink eventual winners 3 – 2. The other quarter-final saw the Drummond rink take control early and despite losing a 3 in the 6th end come out victors with a 6 – 4 win over Waterfront 1.The semi-finals in the High Road were closely contested with winning scores for Whyte, after steals in the 4th and 5th ends against MacDiarmid. Carson also had a close game with McNay and despite blanking the 3rd and 4th ends took a 2 and 1 in the remaining two ends to close the game 4-2 victors.
The Low Road semi-finals were equally close with Drummond taking a 3-1 lead in the 2nd end and consolidating it in the 5th end for a 5 – 3 victory against Team Cormack. The other Low Road semi-final had Shaw continuing his winning streak with a 4 – 3 victory over Team Howat, who did not get a chance to score until the 4th end.
Jack Drummond (Kirkcaldy) who is a new skip in U17s had a successful weekend, reaching the Low Road final.  The the game got off to a flyer of a start by Team Shaw the result was never in doubt as they took a 3 in the 1st end and never allowed Drummond the chance of a big scoring end, final score 11-3.
The High Road Final was contested by Team Whyte, last year’s winners (with a partially altered team) and Team Carson, winners the year before (again with a partially altered team).  The two teams have had a number of closely fought games in recent years and on this occasion Team Carson were victorious.  A cautious start saw exchanges of one’s with the hammer in ends one and two.  Carson blanked the third and achieved a two in the fourth.  Whyte could only achieve a one in the fifth. Carson blanked the sixth. Lying two against in the seventh Carson opted to ensure at least one Whyte stone was removed by attempting a double rather than risking a draw for a one. All square with one end to go. Team Carson tried to keep things clear whereas Team Whyte tried to engineer a steal. With two stones to play Team Carson were lying one stone at the front of the house with a number of guards in play. Ross was hoping to draw into a guarded position but his stone wrecked on a guard and came to rest narrowly outwith the shot stone, giving Team Carson the victory.
All credit to all the participating teams as they played the game of curling in the spirit of the sport, and especially to the winners and runners up for providing such a feast of good curling.
Especially welcome was Mr David Henderson, RCCC President, who turned up on the Sunday to present the prizes to the well deserved winners.

Report by John Carson and Margaret Martin

RT @annasloan1: Set your alarms for 5am, we're back to a one-game day! It's 🇸🇪 turn to face 🇬🇧 With Sweden being the only unbeaten team…


Our Sponsors & Partners