Olympic Curlers Homecoming, Lockerbie
The Olympic Curlers are coming to Lockerbie on Saturday 26th April!
They are coming to Lockerbie so that the local community can acknowledge and honour the achievements of our curlers who achieved so much at the Olympics. It is also an opportunity for the curlers to visit the ice rink and the people there who have played a part in their journey. In recognition of their achievements, and exciting programme of events is being pulled together, including events at the ice rink and also a parade. Local people are being encouraged to come along and cheer on the teams in recognition of their achievements in Sochi. We would like to request that all those attending should wear Team GB colours in support of the curlers
Here is a schedule of the events:
- Question and Answer session with local young curlers at Lockerbie Ice Rink – 10.30-11.30am – please note that this is a private event
- Procession from the Holy Trinity Church through the town centre to Lockerbie Academy – approx. 12pm start – In the procession are the Scottish Schools winners and the Olympic Curlers
- Meet and greet the Olympic Curlers at Lockerbie Academy – 1–2pm
- Official Presentation by Dumfries and Galloway Council, Lockerbie Ice Rink and the town of Lockerbie at Lockerbie Academy – 2.30-5.30pm – please note that free tickets for this event are available from Lockerbie Ice Rink, the Annandale Herald shop and Margaret’s Newsagents
- An informal celebration evening at Lockerbie Ice Rink for members of South of Scotland Ice Rink Club – 6.30pm – approx. 8.30pm – please note that this is a private event
There will be plenty of photo opportunities during all of the above events: in the club premises during the question and answer session for younger curlers, being piped down the High Street, during the meet and greet session at Lockerbie Academy and during the Official Presentation.
Quote from Michael Stevenson – Chairman of Lockerbie Ice Rink
‘We are delighted that both of the Team GB Curling teams have found time in their busy schedules to come to Lockerbie for the Homecoming event. The buzz that the teams generated in the Ice Rink and town from their double medal success has been amazing. The Homecoming event is a fitting opportunity for everyone to celebrate their achievements. The Ice Rink has already benefitted from the medal success of the Teams and there have been many people enquiring and taking part in the ‘try curling’ sessions. The interest and recognition for Lockerbie ice Rink for has been fantastic and this will be continued by the Homecoming event.’
For more information please contact Katie Stevenson: