One week to the opening of Trentino 2013
There is now one week until the Opening Ceremony of the 2013 World University Winter Games which takes place in Trentino, Italy. The event will take place between 11th and 21st December.
Team GBR is made up of five squads – Curling, Ice Hockey (Men’s and Women’s), Cross-Country Skiing and Snowboard Cross. The team is made up of 78 persons in total, including 52 athletes.
This is the 26th edition of the World University Winter Games, or Winter Universiade, which is organised by the International University Sports Federation (FISU) and held every two years.
The first day of competition is on Tuesday 10 December, with the Opening Ceremony following on 11 December. It is certain to be a spectacular event, with around 1,800 athletes from 59 nations participating in the Games.
In taking part in the World University Games, GBR’s athletes follow in the footsteps of Jessica Ennis-Hill and Beth Tweddle, Shelley Rudman and Amy Williams.
Kyle Smith, skip for the Men’s Curling team, said: “The team and I are really looking forward to the Universiade. We can’t wait to get there and put the GBR shirts on our back – most of us for the first time!
He added “It will be a great experience, where we hope to learn a lot and perform at the best of our ability. We have been training and practising hard for this event and hope to make it one to remember!”
Team GBR squad
Cate Brewster (Team Leader, Head Coach)
Dave Ramsay (Assistant Coach)
Debbie Knox (Assistant Coach)
- Thomas Muirhead (Scotland’s Rural College)
- Derrick Sloan (Robert Gordon University)
- Cameron Smith (Scotland’s Rural College)
- Kyle Smith (Scotland’s Rural College)
- Kyle Waddell (City of Glasgow College)
- Abigail Brown (University of Dundee)
- Jennifer Dodds (Edinburgh College)
- Hannah Fleming (Edinburgh Napier University)
- Lauren Gray (University of Glasgow)
- Alice Spence (Queen Margaret University)
For more information and to follow the event go to Winter Universiade 2014.