The Royal Caledonian Curling Club, 175 Years: 1838-2013
Today marks the 175th year since the formation of The Royal Caledonian Curling Club (RCCC) on 25th July 1838.
The origin of the RCCC dates back to 25th July 1838, when the Grand Caledonian Curling Club was formed in the Waterloo Hotel, Edinburgh.
It was in the year 1843 that Her Majesty Queen Victoria graciously granted the Club the title of Royal Caledonian Curling Club, following upon a visit which her Majesty and the Prince Consort made to Scone Palace in 1842. On that occasion the Earl of Mansfield gave his Royal visitors a demonstration of the curling game upon the polished floor of the Scone Palace ballroom.
Our 175th Anniversary was celebrated with a Civic Reception at our Annual General Meeting in June at Dewars Centre, Perth. Pictured from left to right are Willie Nicoll – Chairman of the Board of Directors, Kate Caithness – President of the World Curling Federation, Bill Duncan – Past President of the RCCC, Councillor Gordon Walker – Perth and Kinross Council, Alan Durno – President of the RCCC and Bruce Crawford – CEO of the RCCC.
Photo: Louis Flood