Level 1 Coach – UKCC Level 1 Qualification
Course cost; £48 for RCCC members*
*Please note a 40% subsidy has already been provided for UKCC (facilitated through sportscotland)to reduce the cost for all Scottish based coaches actively deployed within Scotland.
This is broken down as follows: £48 from candidate and £32 from sportscotland (UKCC)
Evidence of membership number will be required upon booking (please note: Scottish Curling Supporters Members do not receive subsidy)
Course cost; £80 for non RCCC members.
The Level 1 Coaching course is the first stage of the RCCC coaching qualification pathway. The course provides each candidate with the basic knowledge of curling and introduction to the ‘How to coaching skills’. Following the completion of the course, candidates will be able to introduce new participants to the sport and improve their basic playing skills. It is also an opportunity for existing coaches who wish to learn about new coaching methods and up to date techniques.
New for the 2016/17 season is the introduction of an on-ice element (2hrs). Within this section the tutors will reaffirm the ‘How to coach’ skills along with using technology such as lasers. In addition, each coach will have the opportunity to deliver a micro-coaching session which will go towards the accreditation paperwork (15 mins). This will allow candidates to put the theoretical part of the course into practice.
This course is organised by an approved coaching centre and delivered by The Royal Caledonian Curling Club accredited coach tutors. It will last approximately 19 hours, made up of the following:
- A period of self-directed study pre course (1hr).
- An on course learning programme with direct tutor contact time (8 hours, 1 Day).
- During the on course learning programme the candidate will be required to deliver a micro-coaching session that counts towards final accreditation. (15 minutes).
- The second phase involves a period of applied coaching during which the coach will have the opportunity to apply their learning and practice their coaching skills. This will be evidenced in the coaching logbook/ accreditation paperwork as a minimum of 4 sessions with 4 session plans included. (10 hrs)
Each coach will have the full support of the coach tutors, assessors and support from the Coaching & Workforce Development Manager.
Level 1 course participants will be given the information and tools to enable them to:-
- Safely organise and supervise curling sessions.
- Contribute to the planning of the session.
- Promote high standards of behaviour with players, other coaches, parents and volunteers within the curling environment.
- Deliver and instruct several technical elements of curling including; NBS delivery, sweeping, tactics, communication and basic game play.
- Discuss and agree the session plan and their role in the delivery of it.
- Identify and adapt sessions for a variety of different age groups and level of competence.
- Discuss the session and evaluate with the lead coach and provide constructive feedback to participants.
- Demonstrate an awareness of further development opportunities in curling for participants.
In order to fully accredit, completion of a PVG membership form must be submitted; failure to do so will result in the coach being unable to deliver sessions within the RCCC.
- Be at least 15 years of age on the day of the course.
- Have an active interest in curling.
- Registration on the Safeguarding & Protecting Children course.*
Please note: It is now an RCCC requirement that all new Level 1 coaches must have a valid Safeguarding & Protecting Children (SGPC) certificate or have registered on an SGPC course prior to attending.